In a time when word of mouth is amplified through social media and review sites, the customer is king. They may not always be right, but we have to do whatever it takes to make things right.
As business leaders, it takes a tremendous amount of thought and energy to get staff members motivated on a consistent basis. You can't be with them every minute of the day and you don't want to be a boss that nobody likes.
When you look at some of the highest performing sports teams in the playoffs, you'll notice that one thing that they have in common is strong leadership who sets the direction for where the team needs to go. It becomes an unspoken language where every team member knows his or her role in the success of the organization.
Your business may already know the importance of making customers happy. You probably already have a good handle on training your staff on creating a great customer experience.
Even if you are obsessed over the customer experience, it's good to have some reminders and sparks of inspiration to share with your staff every once in a while. Here are some of my favorite quotes about the customer experience:
- “A customer is the most important visitor on our premises, he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.” - Mahatma Gandhi
- "Customers will never love a company until the employees love it first." - Simon Sinek
- "People will forget what you said. They will forget what you did. But they will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou, Best Selling Author and Poet
- "Repeat business or behavior can be bribed. Loyalty has to be earned." - Janet Robinson, Former President and CEO of the New York Times Company
- "Customer satisfaction is worthless. Customer loyalty is priceless." - Jeffrey Gitomer, Author and Professional Speaker
- "Go beyond merely communicating to 'connecting' with people." - Jerry Bruckner, Author of The Success Formula for Personal Growth
- "How you think about your customers influences how you respond to them." - Marilyn Suttle, Success Coach
- "Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends." - Walt Disney, Founder of Disney
- "Make the customer the hero of your story." - Ann Handley
- "Be genuine. Be remarkable. Be worth connecting with." - Seth Godin
Remember that the customer experience is not limited to the physical world. It also happens in the digital world. Making it easy for customers to get the job done adds to the experience.
Now that you're inspired to take action. Go beyond reading quotes to your staff during team meetings. Start gaining a deeper understanding of your customers. Find innovative ways to create a better customer experience.