If you're a long-time member of the family entertainment community, you understand laser tag as a profitable attraction in this industry. It's hard to believe that an outsider to the family entertainment business segment may not even know what laser tag is, or that it's a legitimate business model!
But what if you're in between two ends of the spectrum? What if you're an owner or operator of a family entertainment center and know that a laser tag arena has the potential to increase profits for your business, but aren't sure if it's the right addition to your facility or if the ROI will outweigh the startup costs?
Well, as you can probably guess, our answer to the question "Should I open a laser tag facility?" or "Should I add a laser tag arena to my facility?" is that it will require a case-by-case analysis.
What we can provide you, however, are a few laser tag benefits and profitability statistics for you to "put in your back pocket" as you you continue—or start—on your journey to deciding if laser tag is the right industry for you to enter into.
7 Laser TAG Benefits and Profitability Stats to Help FEC Owners
1. Low Risk "Surprisingly, there really is a relatively little risk in opening a laser tag attraction. A business owner can find a return on their initial investments in about 18 months. Since children and teenagers and families are always likely to be interested in this attraction, the upfront costs are likely to be worthwhile." [Source: Stratum HQ]
2. Highly Profitable Graham Winfrey published an article on www.inc.com citing studies from IBISWorld regarding the revenue, competition, and barriers to entry for various businesses. These studies show laser tag is one of the most profitable businesses in the entertainment industry, with profit margins up to 40%. The laser tag industry generated $246 million in revenue last year , and that number is expected to rise above $300 million by 2019. [Source: INC.com, IBISWorld]
3. Fun For All Ages "Laser tag imposes practically no age limitations. It can be played by both adults and kids. Kids can try playing this game as soon as they are able to carry the tagger. It is a very important fact since it significantly expands the age range of your clientele." [Source: Lasertag.net]
4. Continued Market Size Increase Expectation "The market size of the Laser Tag Arenas industry is expected to increase 2.2% in 2020." [Source: IBISWorld]
5. Consistent Growth in Facility Numbers A 2017 Blazertag article stated "the number of laser tag facilities has grown nearly 70 percent in the last decade."
6. Year-Over-Year Increase in U.S. Market Size "The market size of the Laser Tag Arenas industry in the U.S. has grown 2.6% per year on average between 2015 and 2020." [Source: IBISWorld]
Laser Tag is a Profitable Industry: Is It Right for Your Business?
These statistics and more show there's no doubt that Laser Tag is a profitable industry. As mentioned, proper research into start-up costs will help you weigh if the ROI will be worth the endeavor to open a laser tag facility or add an arena to your existing facility, but laser tag revenue reports and laser tag revenue calculators will help you get an idea of the profit potential you may be able to realize if you take the plunge.
If you're looking for more insight on adding new attractions to your facility, check out our on-demand webinar, Finding the Holy Grail of Attraction Market Fit. In it, our friends at Amusement Products introduce a better framework for choosing new facility attractions that apply product management principles.